CHICKEN BIRYANI ~ Pakistan
600 grams Boneless chicken,1 inch pieces
1½ cups Basmati rice, boiled
Cooking Oil, to deep fry
1-inch Cinnamon stick
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
3-4 Green cardamoms
2 medium Onions, sliced
3 Green chillies, slit
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
2 medium Tomatoes, chopped
Salt to taste
1½ tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
½ tsp Red chilli powder
1 cup Thick yogurt
3 medium Onions, sliced and fried brown
½ tsp Garam masala powder
1 inch Ginger, cut into thin strips
a few sprigs Fresh mint leaves, torn
a few sprigs Fresh coriander leaves, torn
½ cup Milk
a few drops Rose water
4 Eggs, boiled and sliced
1. Heat oil; add cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, cumin seeds, green cardamoms and sauté for half a minute.
2. Add onions and sauté. Add green chillies and chicken cubes and continue to sauté. Add turmeric powder and mix.
3. Add tomatoes and salt and mix. Add ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder and yogurt. Mix well. Add half the fried brown onions.
4. Add the boiled rice on top. Sprinkle garam masala powder, ginger strips, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
5. Sprinkle milk, rose water and remaining browned onions. Cover and cook on low heat for about ten minutes.
6. Garnish with the egg slices and serve hot.