YAKHNI PULAO ~ Pakistan
Mutton, 1 inch pieces 500 grams
Basmati rice 1½ cups
Salt to taste
Fennel powder (saunf) 1 tablespoon
Dry ginger powder (soonth) ½ tablespoon
Black peppercorns 2-3
Cinnamon 2-inch stick
Bay leaf 1
Green cardamom powder ¼ teaspoon
Ghee 4 tablespoons
Caraway seeds (shahi jeera) 1½ teaspoons
Asafoetida a pinch
Green chillies, stemmed 3
Mutton stock 3 cups
Yogurt 1 cup
1. Soak rice in three cups of water for half an hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Mix mutton with salt, fennel powder, dry ginger powder, cloves, black peppercorns,
cinnamon, bay leaves and green cardamom powder. Leave to marinate for about half an hour.
3. Heat ghee in a pan. Add caraway seeds and asafoetida, sauté for a few seconds. Add the marinated mutton and sauté for two to three minutes. Add salt and whole green chillies. Add mutton stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. In another vessel whisk yogurt till smooth and add it to the mutton little by little stirring all the time so that the gravy is uniform.
5. Add drained rice and mix well. Cook on high heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and cook till both mutton and rice are done.
6. Serve hot.