Date And Anjeer Baked Karanji Recipe
For outer layer
1 cup Refined flour (maida)
2 tablespoons Semolina (rawa)
2 tablespoons Ghee
¼ cup Milk
¾ cup Seedless dates, chopped
¾ cup Dried figs, (anjeer), chopped
15-20 Cashewnuts, crushed
15-20 Pistachios, crushed
1 teaspoon Green cardamom powder
1 tablespoon Roasted poppy seeds (khus khus)
2 tablespoons Milk
2 tablespoons Ghee, melted
1.Take refined flour in a bowl. Add semolina, ghee and milk and knead into a semi soft dough. Divide into equal portions and shape them into pedas. Keep them covered with a damp cloth.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C.
3. To make the stuffing take dates and figs in a bowl. Add crushed cashewnuts, pistachios, green cardamom powder, roasted poppy seeds and mix. Mash lightly with fingers and add a little milk.
4. Roll out a dough peda. Place it in the karanji mould. Put a small portion of the prepared filling in the hollow. Apply a little water on edges, close the mould and press firmly.
5. Remove the excess dough and use again. Similarly make the remaining karanjis.
6. These can be made without the mould too.
7. Place the karanjis on a greased baking tray. Brush them with a little ghee and bake at 180°C for twenty to twenty five minutes. Cool, store in an airtight container.