Cod with Spiced Red Lentils Recipe
¾ cup red lentils
¼ tsp ground turmeric
2 ½ cups fish stock
450g cod fillets
2 tbsp vegetable oil
l ½ tsp cumin seeds
l tbsp grated fresh root ginger
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
pinch of salt, to taste
fresh coriander leaves and lemon or lime wedges, to garnish
1) Put the lentils in a pan with the turmeric and fish stock. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are just tender. Remove from the heat, season with salt and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, skin the cod fillets if this has not already been done by your supplier and cut the flesh into large chunks with a sharp knife. Place the pieces on a plate, cover with clear film (plastic wrap) and store in the refrigerator until required.
3) Heat the oil in a small, heavy frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to pop and give off their aroma, then add the grated ginger and cayenne pepper. Stir-fry the spices for a few seconds more, then pour the mixture on to the lentils. Add the lemon or lime juice and the chopped coriander and stir them gently into the mixture.
4) Lay the pieces of cod on top of the lentils, cover the pan and then cook gently over low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the fish is tender and cooked through.
5) Spoon the cod and lentil mixture on to warmed individual plates. Sprinkle the whole coriander leaves over the top and garnish each serving with one or two lemon or lime wedges. Serve immediately.