Smoked Trout Pilaff Recipe
1 ¼ cups white basmati rice
3 tbsp butter
2 onions, sliced into rings
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 bay leaves
2 whole cloves
2 green cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks
4 smoked trout fillets, skinned
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
½ cup seedless raisins
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or coriander (cilantro)
mango chutney and poppadoms, to serve
1. Wash the rice thoroughly in several changes of water and, if there is time, leave to soak in cold water for 10—I 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10—20 minutes, until well browned.
3. Increase the heat; add the garlic, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon and cumin seeds and stir-fry for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the rice, and then add 2½ cups boiling water. Bring back to the boil; cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid, lower the heat and cook very gently for 20—25 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
5. Flake the smoked trout and add to the pan with the almonds and raisins. Fork through gently, then re-cover the pan and leave the smoked trout to warm in the rice for a few minutes.
6. Transfer the pilaff to warmed plates, sprinkle the parsley or coriander over the top and serve immediately with mango chutney and poppadoms.