Satay Kajang and Peanut Sauce Recipe
Satay Kajang Recipe
1.5 kg chicken — deboned
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp powdered cinnamon
1 tsp coriander
2.5 cm piece fresh turmeric
1 tsp sugar
1 stalk lemon grass
2 tbsps roasted peanuts
Salt to taste
2 tbsps cooking oil
1. Cube the chicken meat, drain and put aside.
2. Grind coriander, cumin, turmeric, peanuts, salt and sugar. Mix this with the powdered cinnamon, diced shallots and 1 tbsp cooking oil. Marinate the chicken with this mixture.
3. Using special skewers, skewer 5 pieces of meat on one skewer, as in Kebabs.
4. Grill over burning coal, constantly sprinkling cooking oil over the meat using crushed lemon grass.
5. Turn over and continue grilling until the chicken is cooked.
7. Serve with peanut sauce.
Peanut Sauce Recipe
300.gms peanuts - roasted
2.5 cm piece ginger
A piece of galangal
3 tbsps pounded chillies
2 stalks lemon grass
1 cup sugar
1 bombay onion
½ cup tamarind juice
Salt to taste
1. Grind the roasted peanuts coarsely. Put aside.
2. Grind lemon grass, ginger and galangal until fine.
3. Slice bombay onion and stir fry until soft.
4. Add in ground chillies and the other ground ingredients.
5. Add in tamarind juice and lastly peanuts, sugar and salt. Simmer until the gravy thickens.
6. To serve, arrange a few sticks of satay on a plate and serve with a bowl of peanut sauce, cucumber and sliced bombay onion. Satay also goes very well with compressed rice.