Chicken in Tomato Sauce Recipe
30 dried red chillies
5 cloves garlic
2 large onions
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp sugar
5 cm piece ginger
1 star anise
2 cm piece cinnamon stick
½ cup oil
2 cups thick coconut milk - from 1 grated coconut
2 cups green peas
2 tsps turmeric powder
Salt and sugar to taste
1. Clean the chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces. Drain and mix well with salt and turmeric powder.
2. Heat oil in a deep pan and fry the chicken pieces until crispy.
3. Grind the dried chillies until fine. Pound coarsely the shallots and ginger.
4. Heat 3 tbsps oil and fry the ground chillies, pounded shallots and ginger, cloves and star anise.
5. Add coconut milk and bring to boil.
6. Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir constantly.
7. Add in the fried chicken pieces. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add . in the sliced onions and tomatoes and green peas.
9. Turn the chicken pieces to mix well with the gravy.
10. Serve hot with steamed rice.