Pecal (Mixed Salad with Peanut Sauce) Recipe
1 yam bean
180 gms kangkung
6 cabbage leaves
5 long beans
15 dried red chillies
½ cup peanuts
1 tbsp tamarind paste
Thumb sized piece shrimp paste
Salt and sugar to taste
2 tbsp cooking oil
1. Peel the skin of the yam bean and cut into strips. Also cut the cucumber into strips. Cut kangkung and long beans into 6 cm lengths and cabbage into bite size pieces. Boil all these vegetables with a little salt until cooked, drain and set aside.
2. Clean the chillies and shallots and dry thoroughly.
3. Roast the peanuts, remove the skins and pound coarsely.
4. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the dried chillies until browned. Also fry the shallots and the shrimp paste.
5. Pound together until fine all the fried ingredients and the peanuts. Strain the tamarind juice and mix well with the pounded stuff.
6. To make the sauce, add water to this mixture, the thickness of which depends on individual taste.
7. To serve, arrange the vegetables in a platter and put the sauce in a separate bowl.